PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greatest ever blunder in the history of the UK aircraft industry?
Old 11th Jan 2011, 18:09
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Samuel
The point was surely made when the RAF had to fly both B29 Washington,
The B29 was a wartime development for one theatre and its contemporary was the Lancaster. For the post-war confrontation the B29 happened to be suitable. The USA then developed the B36, 47, 58 and the ultimate weapon the B52 whereas we developed the V-bombers which were medium bombers and much more capable than the B36 and B47. So like for like we were evenly matched in building aircraft for a particular mission.

Wherever you care to look at aircraft types, in whatever role, we had second best. Beverly and Hastings were light years behind turbo-prop US equivalents.
Again an inaccurate comparison. The Hastings was a match for contemporary 1940s transports like the C54 and the Beverley was perfect for its designed role; it was simply mis-employed. Its equivalent was possibly a C119 or C123.

Where we did fall behind was in turbo-props such as the Britannia and Belfast and in jets the VC10 v B707 etc.

You might have argued that the Lightning was no match for the F4 but it was much better than the F102/106 and perfect for its role at that time.

From the 1960s right up until the present day, no British aircraft was ever given serious consideration by ANZ.
Other than the Canberra, Fightener, and Hawk.