Old 11th Jan 2011, 17:15
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
A microlight requires:

- Airspeed
- Altitude
- Compass
- Such engine instruments as are required by the engine manufacturer

Complex navigational equipment is fun to play with, but unnecessary and frankly a distraction whilst learning. Most of such installations you'll see in private aircraft or youtube videos are also probably illegal modifications.

Looking them up, Bedford Microlight Centre seem to have a Thruster T600N Sprint. Having flown that and the Eurostar, I think I'd actually slightly favour the Thruster as the better and more rugged training aeroplane - it's just slower than the Eurostar, that's all.

If they're nearer, and presumably cheaper, I'd go with the Thruster.

That said, I think I know most of the instructors at both FlyCB and Flylight - all very good, and they look after their aeroplanes well also. So, you should have a good experience all round.

The instrument panel on the photo you posted looks perfectly normal to me and I've seen much more sparse ones on both light and microlight aeroplanes. Absolutely nothing to worry about - and you'll be taught to keep your head out (where the view is better anyhow) and just glance inside periodically anyhow, so that really is a non-issue.

G