PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2011, 16:55
Gaza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A reginal turboprop that is incapable of flying with a full load on a short domestic

BE861 11 Jan - SOU to MAN.

Normally a 195 but on boarding (on time) notice it is a DH8 (G-JEDV). Obviously not a last minute switch as no issues with BPs at the gate.

The aircraft was almost full with only 3 empty seats. Our departure time of 07:10 came and went with no announcement by cabin crew or flightdeck. Eventually at 07:20 the Captain told us that due to a combination of “modifications” to the aircraft, the weather (it was raining but nothing out of the ordinary) and the short runway at Southampton we were over MTOW. Judging by the murmurings of fellow passengers I don’t think that I was the only one who was astounded that an aircraft operating out of one the airlines main bases, on a short internal flight, was unable to take-off with a full load of passengers.

Over the next 35 minutes various people (dispatchers, loaders, etc) came and went from the cockpit. Eventually the captain told us the caterers would be coming to remove the catering trolleys and this would get us below weight. Shortly after the catering was removed the doors were closed and we departed an hour late.

On arrival at Manchester I joined the other passengers at baggage reclaim and waited for my luggage. A small number of bags came off and then the information board displayed “Baggage Delivery Complete”.

At that moment the penny dropped. They had removed most of the luggage to bring the aircraft below MTOW. At no time did anyone inform the pax they were doing this.

Like many of my fellow passengers I had business papers and other work that I needed for the day in my hold luggage. The only reason I do this is due to the zealousness with which the check-in agents at Southampton enforce the 10kg hand baggage allowance. I used to use a roll-along “Pilot” style briefcase that fitted in the sizers, but having to prove every week that it fitted and then being told to remove items because it was overweight (by 1-2 kgs), I eventually gave up and started carrying a smaller rucksack and putting items in my hold luggage.

I've made in excess of 120 flights on BE over the past 2 years. During that time I've played musical chairs so they can get the trim right. I've also had occurence where pax have been asked to put their hand luggage in to the hold to help with trim. However, this is the worst example. Is the Q400 so sensitive that it can't fly with a full load of pax on a short domestic hop?

One crumb of comfort is that I've just had a text saying my bag is being delivered to my hotel this evening. This saves me a trip to the Trafford Centre to get some clothes for tomorrow although with the £25 compo that BE would give me I wouldn't get much!