PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2011, 13:22
Random Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Ryanair are struggling on Scotland - London that's a clue. There was a post by anna_lyst(sic) a while back with the actual numbers showing the collapse in recent years. On my last few trips to GLA, the old domestic pier seems like a ghost town.
Hardly. There might have previously been more flights than there are currently, nobody is denying that but like I said, a route with 70 flights per day is not a route struggling for business.

Ryanair cutting back proves nothing we didn't already know. They are in the weakest position of all airlines flying London to Glasgow in that they serve PIK while all other airlines fly to Glasgow International.

I doubt there is much business traffic on STN-PIK, as most will be using STN-GLA on easyJet so the very low end of the leisure traffic on this route is left to Ryanair to pick-up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryanair axe their London to Glasgow route but bmi; not going to happen!

The old domestic pier being dead doesn't really prove anything when you consider flights to all destinations can depart from any gate now at Glasgow International. My last flight from Glasgow International, incidentally to London Stansted, departed from gate 33, which is located on what is commonly referred to as the "International pier".

Take away the need to connect GLA into STAR at LHR and I think the temptation would be to leave it to the locos and BA. If they announce GLA-FRA then I think that might be a clue.
Unless in one announcement Air Canada, Lufthansa, SAS and Swiss all add flights from their hubs to GLA, we will not see the end of GLA-LHR on bmi. Like I said, utter nonsense this is even being talked about.