PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Queensland Floods
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2011, 00:47
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My grandparents lived in a house in Geddes St just up from the Herries St intersection, and overlooking West Ck and the Herries St bridge. In the 55+ yrs that I have been conscious of that part of the world, I have never seen or heard of anything like this.

The weather in SE Qld is atrocious! Big storms dumping large amounts of rainfall on an already saturated landscape.

I was talking on the phone this morning with a friend who lives at Hattonvale, between Gatton and Ipswich. They abandoned their house at 5 am this morning following a deluge from a thunderstorm and moved to a neighbours house 200 m away on higher ground. Their house now has water through it, but all are safe - family, dogs and horses!

This had nothing to do with the Toowoomba rain and the water going down Lockyer Ck - just a local event!

Unfortunately it is not over yet! All of the water on the western side of the range is headed for Dalby, Chinchilla, Condamine, Surat, St George etc, and the rest is headed for Ipswich and Brisbane. Water is flowing into Wivenhoe Dam, already at 150+% capacity, at 10x the rate at which they can let it out!

Dr