PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VIII
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 22:11
Samantha in Sydney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lazzah99

Hello

I'm sorry to hear you didn't make it through, I thought you may want some tips for the next OD you attend? You wrote:

Some of my downfalls that I feel like may have also contributed to my failed FI:

· My lipstick was not red enough - it was more of a natural color. I really don't think this would have mattered a lot, many of the girls at my OD/AD/FI had lipstick that wasn't red. But you still should wear it, especially to FI and in your photos. Try to emulate the uniform as much as possible.
· I may have been too confident.
· I had to lie through my teeth about one of my answers because I didn't have an answer for her question. Don't lie! It's much better to say that you have not been exposed to a certain situation rather than lie to their faces! They might be able to tell!
· I was smiling with teeth during the entire time she was writing (which were LONG periods of time), which may have given off a being 'fake' impression. If I was a recruiter and there was a girl smiling WITH TEETH while I was writing, I would think this is very weird or that she herself was strange. Just sit there, look attentive and pleasantly smile with no teeth I think. That's what I did. The teeth thing would have made an already awkward situation worse.
· My resume was too long with too much detail- I'm planning on simplifying it next time. Yes, maybe you should shorten it. Mine was 1 page long, with references on a seperate page. With regards to employment history, only mention where you have worked and a description of the job, not the skills you attained, etc.
· She mentioned my resume resembled another applicant's resume. I had used to CV builder from Microsoft Word. Did you tell her this? I would have.

Also, I don't think your nationality would have been a problem. There are a few American girls who have had their DOJ's recently.

You mentioned that next time you will only wear a suit at the FI. Bad idea. Wear a suit (skirt, jacket, shirt) for ALL 3 DAYS! As well as the red lipstick, black shoes and hair in bun. Myself and the other successful girls at my OD/AD/FI all did this. You need to show them that you look good in uniform!

As for the Air & Hospitality training course you’re planning to do, personally, I wouldn’t do it. I really do believe that those kind of courses are a waste of time and money. They are not only expensive, but unecessary too. Emirates and other airlines provide training because they want you trained in a particular way and because every airline is different. Emirates training would differ substantially from say, JetStar training. All these courses appear to do is provide very basic and general knowledge that is not necessary to get the job because you would learn this later on. Your waitressing and customer service training is fine. I have very limited customer service experience training but was still accepted. No disrespect to anyone out there who has done these kind of courses, this is just my personal opinion. I have never seen an Air & Hospitality or Flight Attendant Course as part of the requirements for any CC position, with any airline.

Use the next 12 months to gain customer service experience and scrap the course idea!

Good luck and keep trying. The fact that you have been through this already may give you an advantage over others who don't know what to expect on the day.

Sam

Last edited by Samantha in Sydney; 10th Jan 2011 at 22:37. Reason: Needed to add more.