PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a dying breed of Airman / Pilot for airlines?
Old 10th Jan 2011, 16:52
Jabiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this then?

Safety (which is ultimately what this thread is about) is a hidden variable as things now stand. The trick is to make it explicit, along with its price, and no one here has yet suggested how to do that. To do it, one has to understand the entire economic environment.

That nicely gets to the crux of the matter.
In team sports, the difference between a top professional player and an average one could physically be very minor and yet the difference in salary could be an order of magnitude (10x) or more. The economic reason is competition between teams for these players.
In the general workforce, these pressures are not so pronounced and while professions which experience shortages may have rapid wage growth and a large premium placed on ability, this does not generally happen for piloting.
My idea for rectifying this competitive deficiency is to regulate airlines so that they have to show the experience of the flight crew as part of the booking process.
In this way passengers have a choice as to flying with an inexperienced crew or possibly paying more for greater experience.
Initially I suggested this to be quantified by showing the number of hours of experience that the Captain and FO possess but as we all know, hours does not = experience.
But herein lays the problem, possibly the number of years that the pilot has been flying.
Regardless of how the experience is measured, I believe that it would create a competition between the airlines for the better rated crew and therefore this would lead to the unusual situation of pilot salaries going up rather than down.