PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Licence Exemptions beyond April 2012
Old 10th Jan 2011, 14:22
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The concensus is that the CAA don't have the manpower to do the business for EASA and are looking to the MoD to do it.
As I pointed out on another thread, I think it unlikely that EASA will take much interest in an approach from the MOD (or even from the CAA).

EASA would only change the regulation if it was to their advantage to do so - I haven't seen any persuasive argument that this would be the case.

Indeed, there is a considerable downside for EASA, as it would involve a costly administrative overhead as they will then be expected to examine requests from the MOD of every other EASA member. Nor could EASA realistically be expected to formulate a blanket exemption for ex-military aircrew of all member states (unless all MODs put together a lobbying committee to negotiate with them - another unlikely scenario).

Finally, EASA would probably just reply that they already have clearly stipulated requirements for licence issue - it is up to MODs to meet those requirements if MODs want their aircrew to hold EASA licences.

This latter option is probably the only likely solution. The MOD would just need to acquire FTO status for their flight training schools (not that difficult). This is already happening in France, where all FAF students sit ATPL theory exams immediately after EFT.