PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Executing a 1G barrel roll?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 13:15
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The maneuvre pulled by the Transall is not what I'd call a BR in the classic sense, rather a low G ballistic roll of some kind. No way you could draw that around a bog-roll unless you trod on one end first. That biig pullup before the roll input and subsequent looong rolling pullout are neither symmetrical, elegant nor barrel-shaped. Looks about as natural as a cow dancing to me. Impressive, certainly. Foolhardy, probably. Barrel roll? Non.

I'm curious about the technique that commences the "BR" from level or nearly level flight. That must surely result in the roll itself being flown on an axis about 45' to the original line of flight and thus with a zig-zag ground track and the entry and exit tracks substantially offset. Goofing around apart, are aerobatic maneuvres not supposed to be flown on an axis (think display line)- hence the importance of picking a line feature and sticking to it so is this not a fudge on the lines of an axial roll being flown with the pitch up a bit - whack in lots of aileron -stop the roll when level again technique that I've seen (been subjected to) which is horribly crude.

From which, note the technique used in the axial rolls early on in the superb Russkie video esp the pitch attitude when inverted, several degrees above the horizon. Watch it again but with your eyes on his stick-hand and see the pitch inputs that go into that maneuvre too, that ain't no aileron roll which will inevitably have a slightly sinusoidal horizontal flight-path even in a FJ. I bet his was straight as a ruler. Can any FJ driver tell us if top/bottom rudder input would be used too, or was the roll-rate too fast to need it?

Sithfighter. Aerobatics in cloud? Fooling about with a can of soda while flying aeros? Holy crap, and you post that here? Not impressed.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 10th Jan 2011 at 13:31.