PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 11:52
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work, work, work, work and get payed [sic] as little as possible because if you are not willing to do the job, someone else will for cheaper, so shut up and get to work! Boys and girls, unfortunately, once again the west has spoiled it for everyone else, thank you Southwest!!!!!!
Tziganul, I assume you are referring to the US airline “Southwest” (SWA). If so, you evidently have a mistaken impression of the way business is conducted at that airline.

1) Southwest airlines invests a great amount of energy into building and maintaining relationships between employees. This is a defining aspect of the airline’s corporate culture that allows it accomplish the feats that it does.
2) Southwest regularly gets named on such prestigious lists as Fortune magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work for in America.”
3) Contrary to popular belief, many of Southwest’s employee groups are unionized. The airline is definitely not a non-union shop.
4) Although the airline is a low-cost airline, it is not a low-pay airline. Pay and benefits is at par or better than other US airlines, including some of the legacy carriers.

If I had a US Green Card I would have been knocking hard on Southwest’s doors years ago, leaving no stone unturned in trying to get in.

You might find books such as “Nuts!” or “The Southwest Airlines Way” interesting reading on how things are done at that airline. Many airlines have tried to emulate this culture, with varying degrees of success.