PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 11:25
GAU-8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the idea of no italian ATCOs or any other country joining AENA at this time with the purpose of putting pressure on the current spanish controllers, we have to support each other.
However, knowing the situation in the past years, I hope our spanish friends have learnt the lesson, and be more open minded to the idea of controllers working outside of Spain joining them in the future once this crisis is over, we know that their union was reluctant to that idea, putting obstacles to ATCOs from abroad (even to spanish ones working outside of Spain for other providers as I know some cases); having a 3-year degree of any kind not related to aviation was a requirement, fair enough, although doesn't make much sense; but making those already validated controllers going through the whole selection process with the rest of ab-initio applicants without any recognition of their experience was harsh enough. The worst part is that even if you would have been accepted through the whole selection process, you had to start the school since the beginning, learning the aeronautical alphabet again and how to vector 2 aircraft away from each other, and with a marginal pay during 18 months in the school before starting OJT.

That was like saying to the rest of ATC world, you can try if you want, but YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE, they knew it was an impossible situation for a current ATCO to accept. It shouldn't be like that, ATCOs should facilitate the mobility of other colleagues when it doesn't affect their position, the job itself restrains your posibility of changing your place to work enough.

All my support for the spanish ATCOs during this hard time, we know their government is not playing fair.