PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ra Aus Not Goming To A Cta Near You
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 09:59
superdimona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you need to track to an IFR approach point while flying VFR?

Personally I find it rather insulting that a GA student can fly in CTA with 10 hours on his first solo, yet an RAA pilot with 500 hours can't be trained to do the same thing. Obviously they can because several RAA schools have exemptions. And gliders have been legally allowed to fly in CTA since forever, with FAR less training then the proposed RAA endorsement.

And yes, I could go and get a PPL. I then go from spending ~$200 an hour to training in a new RAA aircraft (with free briefings), to ~$300 an hour in a clapped-out 20 year old 172. If I'm lucky I'll find a flight school that will recognize I can in fact fly (I've had a GA school want to start me from Straight & Level!) Then I need to pay for a medical, then finally pay for a flight test and the testing officer. All this and I'll get a license that lets me fly aircraft I never intend to again. It's like being required to get a bus license in order to drive your car down the highway.

Edit: Is there any actual evidence that modern non-TSO'd instruments are less reliable?