PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ra Aus Not Goming To A Cta Near You
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2011, 09:01
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with VH-XXX. I've got my PPL. I've investigated getting an RAA ticket. I would like to build an LSA kit and register it under RAA, but what I've found in terms of uncertainty have turned me right off the entire process.

For the record, I live in Melbourne, and the idea that I cannot transit areas around Melbourne, nor fly over built up areas, nor legally fly the aircraft at its designed MTOW, destroys the value of RAA registration and licensing permanently.

I am not interested in the "Nod Nod , wink wink, know what I mean" solutions I have been offered. I will not even detail what those solutions are out of deference to those using them right now because CASA would come down like a ton of bricks on them if I am correct about their legality (which is moot , since I'm not a lawyer.)

To put it another way, I'm not investing Sixty Grand in an aircraft that might, sort of, be legal, sometimes. And I'm heartily sick of people who keep telling me that something is OK via the RAA without being able to show me specific written regulations that would conclusively prove it in a court of law.

The RAA should for once come clean on what they can and cannot provide in plain English. As far as I am concerned, all an RAA licence and registration can provide for a kit built aircraft and RAA licensed pilot is operation outside controlled airspace at a maximum weight of 544 Kg.

For the record, I often fly a factory built LSA aircraft out of YMMB, but then I have PPL. If it was a kit built aircraft of exactly the same type, I'm not sure I can fly it in CTA, let alone over built up areas, and I know I certainly can't use it for training or airwork.

The solution to that is getting an "Experimental" certificate and that is a subject I hope to research with the SAAA if the have a stall at Avalon. The RAA showing at the last air show left me no wiser, probably because I went on the trade days.