PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Qantas Check-in and Bag Drop - Sydney
Old 10th Jan 2011, 06:52
kiwi grey

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto check-in can have fishooks

Romulus said
Back from New Zealand following a wedding over the weekend. Auto checkin worked like a dream ...
Yes, it does now, but a few months ago a TV3 News reporter demonstrated that the system had more holes than a large colander. Amongst other things, it allowed somebody to print a second boarding pass (with a new seat allocation) for a person who'd already checked in. Free travel. Oh, and to make things worse, she checked in as Steven Joyce, the Minister of Transport
Of course at the gate, the operator says "You're not Steven Joyce" (largely on account of the reporter being of the female variety). So the reporter says "Nah, I'm Joyce Steven, bloody computers, etc." and got on the aircraft and flew to Auckland.

You think that's bad? Don't worry, it gets much, much worse.
The same reporter then checked a bag in the name of a passenger she knew was already through security. There could have been anything in that bag, it was in the other passenger's name, and he knew nothing about it.
That got CAA & the Minister engaged, I can tell you.

'Security'? Yes, we've heard of it ...

Of course, it's all been fixed now ... they say.
I wonder if the version of the software in Australia has the same interesting features? Or has it been fixed too?

Edited to correct unbalanced quote marks.