PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPM / Altitude / Power Equation - for Fixed Pitch Prop
Old 9th Jan 2011, 18:12
OpenCirrus619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM / Altitude / Power Equation - for Fixed Pitch Prop

I don't know if anyone can help on this - I'm looking for someone practical who also knows the theory (Genghis??).

I am looking for a (relatively) simple formula that gives the relationship between RPM, Power and Altitude for a fixed pitch propellor - but have had no luck so far

The aim of the exercise is to be able to produce a table giving RPM required for various power settings at various altitudes. The input data being a full throttle run at a know density altitude - giving a reference power (100%), altitude (from the altimeter) and RPM (from tacho).

I have so far managed to find a formula giving the relationship between Power and RPM (assuming the same altitude) at: How To Determine The Part-Throttle RPM of a Fixed Pitch Propeller At a Given Horsepower
HP2 = HP1 (RPM2 /RPM1 )^3
where
HP2 = part-throttle hp
HP1 = full throttle hp
RPM2= part-throttle rpm
RPM1 = full throttle rpm

- though I'm prepared to be convinced that this is not correct (it doesn't seem to accurately fit a POH I've tried to test it against).

Any help on this one would be appreciated

OC619

P.S. I do have a maths/engineering based degree - but it's a couple of decades since I really had to use it (so please be gentle with me)