PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa System Emergency Sketches Manual
Old 9th Jan 2011, 14:16
Checkboard

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
No idea what the Lufthansa System Emergency Sketches Manual is, but:

whether they can find in their FMC database ... all the information needed to direct to the nearest airfield
Mnemonic for finding all of the information from the Boeing (Honeywell) FMC for an emergency diversion:

R A L F I E
  • R Route - select the RTE key, and enter the four letter ICAO airport code (which you can get from the map display) into the dest field on page 1/3
  • A Arrival - select the ARRival key, chose a suitable ILS (one reasonably expected to be into wind) and select it.
  • L Legs - select the LEGS key, go to the last page, select the first tracking point for the ILS you have just chosen, and place it on the first position of the first page (i.e. for tracking "direct" to the start of the ILS)
  • F Fix - place the 4 letter ICAO code for the airport into the FIX page, and place a 25 mile circle around it - to remind you you need some terrain information as you approach the airport (from the chart, terrain database, radar etc etc)
  • I INIT/REF - select the INIT/REF key - this page will give you four important pieces of information - 1. select the Vref for the landing. 2. the ILS frequency is displayed - tune this on the Nav receiver. 3. the ILS course is displayed - place this in the course bar and 4. the runway length is displayed - Use a fixed number of "9" and subtract the number of thousands of feet of runway for an appropriate Autobrake setting.
  • E Elevation - select the "index" prompt, then the "Nav Data" prompt, and place the 4 letter ICAO code into the "Airport Data" field - this will give you the airport elevation. Place this figure into the pressurization landing window.

... that all takes about 10 seconds, and provides you with everything you need to put the aircraft on the ground. Obviously, if you have time, you need to get the charts out for briefing, and complete checklists (including the diversion checklist, if you have one).