PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 WeeK PPL - HOW??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 12:53
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilotwolfs says the crux of it all really , go over prepared and then you only have the flying to concentrate on. My PPL when I did it took 4 wks in California, I passed the day before I left so my advice would be to build in abuffer in case you need a retest or you will be arranging one back home. A couple of people found themselves doing this for various reasons (and subsequently passed I am pleased to say )

One thing I did find is that if you are over on an intensive course the instructors over there will basically become your full time personal tutor! You dont have to chase them round or wonder if they are booked up - even got taken out by them when we fancied a day off!!! Likewise we arrived to find that they had block booked the plane already for us so getting an aircraft was not a problem.
If you ask instructors if you can fly somewhere and stay away for the night as part of the training then they are more than eager as well as US students just turn up for the odd hour, do a couple of circuits and go home again. You can generally come to some sort of deal with them so neither of you are really out of pocket as regards hotel costs, etc.

What would I moan about in the US? To be honest, apart from the odd cock up and days grounded there wasnt really a lot to moan about.

I guess I will sign off and say again, if you are going over there go with all your writtens done. I was out with a few others exploring Long Beach whilst others were sweating over exams in their rooms. And to be honest it makes the experince oflearning to fly if you have seen a bit more than the inside of a hotel room!

Julian.