PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 22:43
bearfoil

Turbine D

I do believe there was wobble instantly as the Drive Arm Fractured (circumferentially). The seperation, Disc from Arm, would not be in any way orderly, and an imbalance (a certainty) would impart an elliptical and irregular orbit to the Wheel. My drawings show the IPT Blades (Roots) as below ('within the perimeter') of the Stator Vane "Platform". "Cookie Cutter"** shear off of the Roots would force the Blades through and out the front of the fir tree dovetails. Given the "Shake" of the disc (wobble) in its new orbit, the roots would endure a constant force forward, while being mercilessly vibrated, a suitable explanation for their loss from the Wheel??

I've posted this prior, I don't keep track of things, and I regret if this is but repetition. Naturally, any failure description needs to be indexed with a timeline.

Now as to Boom, a Compressor Stall is possible, but so is explosive loss of LPT Drum (Gas) contents. A loss of this highly energetic gas forward and through the lost dynamic seal of the IPT would explain also the rupture of the case, pehaps in concert with exit of high energy debris. If there is a one half second lag, do you think it possible that flowing fuel from the nozzles, Oil fed fire, and loss of IPT blades could explain events in this manner?? IOW, a gas explosion out the weakened case, holed by the IPT?? This might put the Burst in front of the "Stall", so help would be needed to explain this divergent view as to timeline.

**Acknowledgments to 35 Year Pilot