PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we go back to making planes out of wood again now?
Old 8th Jan 2011, 19:06
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you not flown a Jodel?
I considered buying one a few years ago...in the United States.

For all the wood airplanes you've got running around in Europe, however, I still don't think you'll come close in terms of numbers, to those found in the US. Not in general aviation, nor in general.

Some great products have come out of French Aviation, there's no question about that, both big and small. From the Cri-Cri (an unabashedly fantastic design, the great tragedy of which is that the designer won't sell plans to the US) to the A380, French products are not to be dismissed lightly.

To suggest, however, that the French have the most wooden aircraft and the best wooden aircraft, or that the French have the greatest tradition of wooden aircraft, would be rather misplaced.

The British Mosquito was a design of pure genius. A lot of countries have had wooden airplanes. Today wood continues to be a popular choice for homebuilt airplane construction. I'm building a wooden Sorrel Guppy, myself, though it may be another lifetime before it gets completed at the present rate of construction.