PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 WORST Britons - according to the Daily Mail
Old 30th Aug 2002, 19:12
A Civilian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>>>Remember your Dunkirk figures, which were hugely wrong.

Technically around 100,000 of those 350,000ish were French & some Belgians who were then re-landed back into France before the French surrender and subsequently became POW's

"we did not suffered enough casualties" is a direct quote from Churchill about a battle during the north african war. It was repeated by Alan Brook WC's Chief of staff if I remember correctly (i cant remeber excatly). This is a different quote from Alan Brooks diaries

"Churchill] has only got half the picture in his mind, talks absurdities and makes my blood boil to listen to his nonsense. I find it hard to remain civil. And the wonderful thing is that 3/4 of the population of this world imagine that Winston Churchill is one of the Strategists of History, a second Marlborough, and the other 1/4 have no conception what a public menace he is and has been throughout the war! It is far better that the world should never know and never suspect the feet of clay on that otherwise superhuman being. Without him England was lost for a certainty, with him England has been on the verge of disaster time and again ... Never have I admired and despised a man simultaneously to the same extent."

Churchill like Stalin and Hitler did not like to give an inch of ground. During 1st Torbuk it was under his advice that it would be turned into a fortress. At 2nd Torbuk even though it had been decided mot to repeat the fortress idea he changed his mind just before the germans attacked and resulted in substantional losses in men and equipment. Not only in Torbuk but in the supporting forces that had to keep the lines of communications open. Churchill was not a beliver in tactical retreat when the situation demanded it. The african army was often forced to fight battles that would of better been fought at different locations.