PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat pilots : Are they really safe for Indian Aviation ?
Old 8th Jan 2011, 17:00
DesiPilot
The Bumblebee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets not make it an issue about the expat pilots. I can give you plenty of examples where an Indian pilot made the mistake. Here are a few

1) Go air Captain went off the runway at Cochin airport in 2007
2) JetLite Captain had a tail strike while taking off from Mumbai and continued to CCU where the procedure says not to pressurise the aircraft.
3) Kingfisher Captain applied brakes while being pushed back, A321 became unusable.
4) Indian Airlines Captain was sleeping on a flight from JAI to BOM and overflew half way to GOI before they returned back to BBB.

So let's not play the blame game and try to find out why an accident/incident took place rather than who was at control.

May it is time for the DGCA to update its FDTL, they tried and came up with a new one but switched back to old FDTL when they came under pressure from the airlines. May be these incidents are taking place due to stress/fatigue. By the way most of the guys in the rostering do not understand fatigue, they will just mark it call in sick if you tell them that you are fatigued.

All the expats working in India are screened by Indian examiners. They have to go through sim checks followed by route checks before they are cleared for on line operations. May be it is the system that can be blamed.

Luke rightfully said, there are expats working all over the world. When an accident/incident takes place the agencies look for the cause of the accident and not the colour/color of the person flying the plane.

Oh before you start wondering, yes, I am an Indian. I have flown in Indian airspace both as an FO and a Captain and now I am also working as a so called expat.

Kicking the expats out of India is not a solution, with time their numbers will go down. So I think it is time to stop blaming the expats and it is time to find out the real cause of those incident/accidents.