PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian floods: helicopters involved
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 11:26
Hell Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie Flooding

Great photos indeed, surprisingly from the Boston Globe!

The story at the bottom is typical of the Aussie attitude.

Some more images of the Aussie meyhem:

A car park in Theodore is turned into a make-shift heliport

An R44 makes bread deliveries

A 205 in on the relief action

An Aussie Balckhawk shifting food supplies

A civilian 205 shifting food supplies

Aussie Astar over the flood area

ROLLESTON cotton farmer Max Mayne almost lost it all his crop but the devastating floods couldn't wash away the spirit of generosity of the town's guardian angel.

Residents are singing Mr Mayne's praises after he put aside his own problems and is using his helicopter to fly groceries to flood-stricken homes, airlift families to safety and even rescue six stranded pet dogs.

"I think he's a bloody hero," said cattle farmer Katie Riethmuller , after he rescued her family from floodwaters south of Emerald.

Ms Riethmuller, her husband and their 10-year-old daughter had to survive on lollies, Christmas leftovers and a single packet of peanuts for two days after their car became stranded between two flooded creeks on Boxing Day.

"As soon as there's trouble, Max is in the middle helping people out and we just knew sooner or later Max would come," Ms Riethmuller said. "I've been trying to nominate him for the Australia Day Awards. To put other people before himself the way he does is just fantastic."

Mr Mayne's property is flooded, his $3 million cotton crop ruined for the third time in a year and most of his machinery is under water.

Yet resident Peggy Smith said when a family was cut off from their home by floodwaters Mr Mayne flew in and out through the storms to feed their dogs before flying them to safety.

But Mr Mayne was humble about his generosity. "I'm not a hero at all ... mate ... I'm just happy to be helping out. I have a helicopter, I can help people move stuff around and that's all I do," he said.

He said the flooding had been a catastrophe for an area still reeling from flooding last year and he was doing what he could to help keep the community running.

Evidently this is the dude running the show, relief chief Mick Slater

Would be good to hear from those involved.

HM