PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA pilots
Thread: SAA pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2002, 17:51
gearupgone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The moonlighting SAA pilots fall into 2 categories - those who put something back in aviation and those that don't.
It must be realised that some of the most experienced pilots are in SAA, and there is a need for their experience to be handed down to future generations of pilots. I have no problem with the SAA pilots involved with instruction and sport aviation. They are the enthusiastic ones and without their input, aviation in Africa will continue its downward spiral.
I do however huve a BIG problem with the SAA guys who continue to grab freelance charter. - It is against their terms of employment (unless they have WRITTEN permission from their management). Not only that, but some of these guys will go so far as not to record flights in their logbook to keep within flight and duty. I can already hear them saying"NEVER". Unfortunately these "professional" pilots are are more like the dictators in the government that they despise so much - SELFISH AND GREEDY.
They will justify it with some or other excuse.
To all aspiring SAA pilots - just remember that your dreams of flying for SAA involve flying with these SELFISH, GREEDY individuals - and it is no fun sitting in the cockpit with them for a 10 hour day. Get used to them - they are not going to go away. Fortunately, there is a balance - the majority of SAA pilots are professional GENTELMEN and you get to fly with them as well. To them, I say thank-you for some wonderfull years of flying. These gentelmen set a wonderfull example - follow it and you will be happy inside. Join the "GREEDY BUNCH" and you will end up spending the rest of you life bitching about management, salary, roster clerks government and the like.
Make your ouwn Choice - don't become bitter.