PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merry Christmas From China
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 01:23
MudRat_02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rovertime
Can the F-35 already be considered 'toast'?
Discussed here:
What China's New J-20 Stealth Fighter Means for the F-35 JSF and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
Yes, Carlo Kopp has had a field day with this one and has taken it as another opportunity to decry the F-35/F-18F combo in favour of the unavailable F-22. He knows his stuff far better than I do, but I don't know if anyone is in a position to make the claims he does based purely on the poor quality pictures available and without access to information on the true capabilities of the F-22/F-35/T-50/J20 (that is understandably kept well-guarded and the latter are only prototypes!), and if so they could be saving aerospace companies a lot of money by drafting advanced stealth designs without the need for all that testing and whatnot :

Originally Posted by Carlo Kopp
The stealth shaping is without doubt considerably better than that seen in the Russian T-50 PAK-FA prototypes and, even more so, than that seen in the intended production configuration of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
He then goes on to say how the F-35 hasn't got a prayer against this jet in an engagement. F-35 capability controversies aside, it seems like force multipliers should have a significant impact on any hypothetical matchup. I think he tends to be a bit over zealous.

Last edited by MudRat_02; 8th Jan 2011 at 01:53.