PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2011, 00:04
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is **** all use to us. What we need are flights in the winter, maybe not to Bergamo, but one to a major Ryanair hub like Charleroi or Hahn.

I have no idealogical pull as to private or public, but I believe that aside from sorting out the mess that is Cork Airport, it should be Government policy to run the Airports as methods to pull visitors/business travellers in, rather than aggressive profit driven units. Of course they should not be making a loss but neither should they be driving potential airlines out of the base through high costs. ]
You & many others on this forum need to get real. Ireland is facing the biggest crisis since the sovereign state foundation. Any new routes, no matter how long they last in this case the FR routes (JUN-AUG) may not be what you want, but anything that contributes passengers etc is welcome. At the end of the day not one of us gives a s**t was route is available, all we want is food and a family to come home too. Fair enough many people will still holiday in 2011, but thats why FR has these routes in the first place like us they want to make money and in the current climate most FR operated routes are only seasonaly viable. In my opinion the CAA just need to hold tight look after Aer Arann, Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Wizz Air etc.. and where oppertunites arise to launch a route no mater how long it lasts. Overall what im saying is, not all routes out of the top of your head can be viable no mater how big the name is!. If Cork has most of its routes this time next year, its managed an excellent job, more then it has already and its a massive achievement. The Airport is only down one route on 2010, probably the toughest year yet in aviation where it lossed Cardiff & East Midlands, if you take a look at Shannon.. well i neither say more. Hopefully Aer Lingus will have a good Summer this year at Cork and will have 4 based aircraft at Cork year-round again, while Cork Airport celebrates its 60th & Aer Lingus its 75th, the year has many challenges ahead of it.