PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Aircraft to Use a Symmetrical Airfoil
Old 7th Jan 2011, 21:58
bearfoil

ChristiaanJ

Hi. To me, a supercharger is a device used to increase gas pressure in the combustion chamber, any device. Turbocharger, or Turbosupercharger are self explanatory. A purely mechanical device, driven by sapping some of the available energy from the crankshaft, is a Blower.

A nifty combination is the Turbo compound system, used in something of reverse fashion. The Exhaust turns a turbine that drives an intake turbine, and excess energy is replaced via a geared shaft at the crankshaft, making theoretical use of "all" the tapped energy, and increasing dramatically the net Power available to drive a Propellor. It was used on the Corn Cob engine, the four row seven cylinder per bank on the Connie. The exhaust from the exit to the airstream of the system would turn the tip of the exhaust White. It was quite dramatic and prompted more than one passenger to inquire, "Is that normal?".

Iron Duck I want to say that the Bell X-1 wing was symmetrical.? The body had a purpose built shape of a .45 caliber bullet, the designers agreed that that projectile went super, and I think that is a true story.