PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical Pension
Thread: Medical Pension
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2011, 13:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Bunk Tester
I was still in shock for those three months so most things passed me by. Do NOT let that happen to you, although you may not feel like it you have to get all over this the day after your discharge date.
Actually no. Do it well before your discharge.

Write to the RBL as soon as you know your discharge date. They will then generate the paperwork and appoint an RBL POC. Complete the paperwork which will include a DPA98 release so they can access your medical papers.

They will request a copy of your medical notes from the RAF and act as your agent with the SPVA. If you have a problem they will do the hand-holding. The SPVA process can take months and answers may be slow in forthcoming. The RBL will provide answers (reassurance really).

On the day of your discharge the RBL will release all the paperwork to the SPVA.

PS:
Additionally the SPVA will issue a Veteran's Card. Initially it was intended only for War Pensioners but I believe it is now available to all Veterans. I am supposed to get priority attention within my disability and medical needs for the problem that is attributable to my service. In practice it seems to work as a magic card.

At an A&E I was getting scant attention until I snapped the card on the counter. I was seen even before I could open a magazine by a consultant no less and I was operated on within 5 minutes of entering A&E. The card helpfully has your NI number.

To get one ring 0800 169 3358 or email [email protected] or visit the website Priority NHS Healthcare for Veterans