PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow death of airmanship.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2011, 00:49
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can write what you like in the company operations manual. The only thing that is good for is hanging someone out to dry when required.
It is the Company culture that mainly determines the action and behaviour and attitudes of the staff.
If it becomes normal for the pilot to delegate certain tasks that the pilot is clearly expected to personally carry out as directed by the operations manual, then that is what will and does happen.
If it becomes normal for pilots to skip certain tasks, then that is what will happen.
SASless is onto it. Good leadership is the answer. We are missing that. The senior pilot is a baby that thinks he knows, makes all the right noises, but is still just a pup. He has huge potential but I don’t know how he is going to reach his personal best without a good mentor. Our company does not seem to have such a mentor. We seem to have chosen staff that will fit in, rather than bring experience and standards of airmanship. We even psychologically test prospective employees to make sure they are ready to follow rather than lead.
One of the more insightful posts that will be found here in Pprune land.

What you refer to unlikevice is/was to be found in some very large organisations, and I've worked under those very conditions.

I don't believe any of those failings you list fall under the banner of 'airmanship,' more like low calibre pilots with poor personal standards!
While I fully understand where you are coming from 212man when you lack the all important leadership who have the willingness to loosen the purse strings and spend cash on training and the provision of the necessary to do your job effectively (and legally I might add) then the lowly pilot is up against it. Particularly when they have a yearly assessment process to keep you in your place.