PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 21:30
Wxgeek

Sounds like Cannon is telling UAE to pound sand in the kindest and most diplomatic way....
=======================

Decisions are based on what's best for Canada

Our government values an ongoing positive relationship with the UAE

By Lawrence Cannon, Canadian Foreign Minister, Special to Gulf News

Published: 00:00 January 7, 2011

In a January 3 editorial in the Gulf News, entitled ‘Harper's hometown paper attacks UAE visa policy', Deputy Managing Editor Mick O'Reilly writes about an article in a Canadian newspaper regarding the UAE.
Mr O'Reilly's article is unfortunately misleading readers by alleging that there has been no communication between the governments of the UAE and Canada on the air negotiations and base issue because UAE Ambassador to Canada Mohammad Al Gafli has not had a meeting with me.
What the article fails to acknowledge is that in the last year and a half, I have met on five occasions with my counterpart, His Highness Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs, to discuss these issues which are of great importance to both our countries. There have also been numerous meetings between Canadian and UAE officials.
In 2009, the UAE decided to pursue visa reciprocity with many countries, including Canada, that did not offer visa-free access to UAE citizens. Canada does not dispute the right of sovereign states to determine their own entry requirements for visitors. Canada has required visas of UAE nationals since we established diplomatic relations in 1974.

Air transport agreements

Our government makes decisions based on what is best for Canada and our economy, and what the UAE was offering was not in the best interest of Canadians. The landing rights provided under the current Canada-UAE air transport agreements meet the market demand of travellers whose origin or final destination is either Canada or the UAE. Canada looks forward to continued cooperation with states in the Gulf region to ensure that Canadians have the best options for travel.
While recognising that recent developments have disappointed both governments, Canada values an ongoing positive relationship with the UAE and believes it is in the interests of both countries to do so.