PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 6th Jan 2011, 16:43
jeffg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subject Matter Expert

Mckpave ask:
Now I'd also like to see the proof that makes those on here such experts in aerodynamics and allows you to contradict the research done by the test pilots and aerodynamicists I've mentioned earlier, FH1100 answer these questions:

1. Are you a Certified Flight Instructor? Have you taught at a formal flight school? Have you given platform instruction on aerodynamics??
2. Do you have an Aeronautical Engineering degree? How about a degree in any type of engineering??
3. Have you attended any Test Pilot School?? How many years of flight test experience do you have?
4. Do you have an ATP? What is your level of professional pilot certification?
5. Describe the advanced education you've received in aerodynamics, how many formal classes have you attended and where?
6. What is your experience in multi-engine helicopters?
7. How much experience do you have in helicopters weighing over 6500 lbs.? How about 12,000 lbs?
8. How much military aviation experience do you have? Formation flight, NVG, Brownouts, tactical approaches and departures?

Mckpave, you must remember that none of this matters as FH1100 with his vast posting history on pprune by definition makes him a much more expert SME on the V-22 then those who have performed experimental flight test on it, those who have done the engineering on it, and those who have flown it operationally.

By the way my early vote for "Dumbest thing said on PPRUNE in 2011" is:

#1 by FH1100
I sincerely wish that you, mcpave and ospreydriver were more experienced aviators. If so, you'd know that helicopter aerodynamics is not an exact science. You'd know that a helicopter can make a certain type of approach (let's say fairly vertical and slightly downwind) 100 times successfully with no problems. But that 101st time it crashes. Why is this?! Because of the chaotic nature of airflow through the rotors. It means that just because you get away with something once...or even 100 times...it doesn't mean that the 101st time won't bite you. So the fact that the V-22 has been doing certain things in the field "successfully" is not vindication of its design. It merely means that crews have been getting away with stuff for the time being.
References to this little aerodynamic gem please. I just perused my Prouty and surprisingly could not find any reference to this.