PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN - 2
Thread: DUBLIN - 2
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 16:30
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a long time, I dismissed the possibility of AI. However, let's not forget that India is a very important economy - for tourism and (particularly) trade, so getting a foothold in this market would be a huge boost; the fact that AI is state owned and Ireland has good relations with India helps; hopefully this is being pursued at a diplomatic level.

Since our economy is as bad as it is, we need to explore every possible avenue for growth; those parts of the economy which can contribute to growth should be pushed as hard as possible, to ensure that this contribution is maximised. If the DAA can reel in AI, this would be a huge boost and worth any pull/influence that can be exercised to make this happen.

Quote:
"Whilst it is good the DAA are talking to airlines, I just wouldnt be able to understand the logic of Air India changing from non-stop to a 1 stop service, and lets face it, DUB only has the PBC going for it, so like I said in my previous post, the benefits will be null and void by adding the stop."

I was wondering about that myself; AI moved to introduce a lot more n/s flights, but I understand that these launches have not been very successful, (a) because of payload restraints and (b) the market is not there to the extent expected. This is why they are still looking for a new en route point - one less congested and cheaper than FRA.

To my mind, the biggest obstacle is the runway length at DUB, but if this shortcoming can be addressed with a commitment to extend it and some level of interim compensation, fine.

Let's try and be positive; it's an uphill battle, but they may yet be able to pull it off.