PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crop Spraying
Thread: Crop Spraying
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 14:33
Rotorhead84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topendtorque
In our industry and I am sure even in little ol' Nebraska, you will notice that an accident that results in serious burns and facial or head injuries because you were not wearing helmets etc, could result in no insurance for your self. That's nasty, apart from holes in the head resulting from lack of protection, apart from the one that you have, would be even nastier.
Not sure how the insurance thing works when it comes to not wearing a helmet or nomex. I'm going to look it up though and make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I do plan to get myself a helmet. I agree that it'd be stupid not to.

As far as experience goes I can tell you that Savoia and other posters here are uttering wise words. Pilots become used to manipulating their machines in, err, the routine stuff when doing routine work at around 300 hours. That is when Fixed wing pilots and routine work pilots like yourself enter their dangerous stage.
Hence the saying "I know just enough to kill myself" Is that where it came from? I'm trying to avoid that "I know what I'm doing/nothing can go wrong" mindset entirely. My goal in my career is to be completely humble and learn from others as much as possible.

Rotary pilots who consistantly do a highly demanding manipulative sort of work, such as mustering, long lining or any of the other hundreds of jobs that we do with these damm things, become really smart arses at anywhere between 900 to 1200 hours. That is when I take them up and do violent T/R failures from in the hover at 1200 ft AGL., and other little nasties to really bring them down a peg or three if they need it.
I've heard plenty of horror stories about the "cocky pilots" and another goal of mine is to not fall into that mindset. I don't see any need for it. And I certainly don't see how it could possibly be good for helping my career along.

Could you elaborate on the T/R failures and other tricks up you might have and the appropriate corrective actions? I'd love to learn!

You have a nice bit of gear there and every indication is that also would be a reflection of the maintenance of the aircraft. However, good maintenance aside being mechanical they are fallacious, be warned failure will occur when you least expect it.
This mindset of always be ready for failures was engrained in me early by my fixed wing instructor and then really hammered home by my helicopter instructors. But thanks for the advice. Any general tips or tricks for such situations?

However, I sincerely wish to impress upon you to forget about your conceited attitude about how hot it is.
I sincerely wish to say to you that I don't have a conceited attitude. At all. If being brief and quick to my point makes it seem like I have any sort of an attitude, I apologize. I am here to learn, not front any sort of attitude towards anyone.

How f'n hot do you think it is for your contry men in Iraq or back in the jungles of Vietnam? Just ask one of them if you are game, about your attitude and whether they would gallivant around in shorts and no socks. Be expected for a blast if not a good biff under the ear or a number ten on the backside, if they even care to pass the time with you.
Its pretty hot in Iraq. I served two combat tours in the US Marines. We gallivanted around in shorts and socks quite regularly. Not sure about Vietnam, but most of the stories I've heard and pictures of seen from relatives or military superiors who served in vietnam that there was also plenty of gallivanting around in shorts and stocks. I realize what you were going for by making your comments, but I think maybe you should reserve judgment until you know the person you're dealing with. And I say that respectfully. I understand the point you're trying to make about protective clothing.

You will go a long way toward gaining some semblence of respect here-abouts by posting a photograph of yourself and staff being suitably attired for impact, fire and poison protection.
Growing up in the aerial application business most of my life I've seen several of the nearby operations and met many others in the industry. I can say the level of protection we use is pretty standard for the types of work we do and the chemicals involved. Our handlers are the only ones I've ever seen over the years that always wear gloves, protective eye wear, and earplugs.

BTW where did your sight bar gear come from, out of the ark?
I think by sight bar you mean light bar? Its a SATLOC system. Lightbar works great. Not sure what is meant by the Ark comment? Does it look old or something?