PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 WORST Britons - according to the Daily Mail
Old 30th Aug 2002, 12:36
A Civilian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fay Deck

Wow. You almost caught me out with your subtle wordplay. Perhaps you should go join the police. Your ability to outthink people would certainly be respected.

Im not merely trying to provoke a response by my posts. Yes anyone can be wise after the event, but this is not the point im making. The point was does "Churchill deserve to be on the list of the top 100 Brition's" to do that you have to judge Churchill on his record and not on a stupid school boy notion of his greatness simply due to his "win" in WW2. IMHO it's common for British people to self-decive themselves regarding W.C. His mistakes were legion, was renowned for giving stand and die order's and often complained that sometimes "we did not suffered enough casualties" during battles. These same attributes are often quoted as being amongst the given reason's for Hitler's madness.

That he was determined to beat Hitler is one of his strongest positive points but he completely failed to do so in this regard. Because of this, and because of his prior record in government I certainly don't regard Churchill as being in the best one hundred.
That he was perhaps the right leader from 1940-41 during our time of retret, maybe. Was he the right leader afterwards I do not think so.