PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industrial Action at Flybe?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 14:05
Chief Brody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter whether you strike or work to rule as both are management 'attention getters'

Lets be realists, Flybe pilots have long been thought of by Exeter as an endless source of good will who lack the stomach it takes to strike.

There are two problems at hand here (actually loads but these two are on my mind)...

1 The problem of WHO works for Flybe and..
2 Who's job is it to defend the rights of Flybe pilots and co-ordinate strike action / 'work to rule' if necessary

Problem 1 Broadly speaking there are 3 types of Flybe pilot. Starters, enders and those who live close to a regional base and want a quiet life. Starters are just happy for a job, previously at flight school they look out at the world and see a lot of people who'd like to be in their shoes, they also know that this is the first stepping stone to that eventual A380 LHS (ok bit of a hyperbole but you get the idea) - net result is that UNDERSTANDABLY this fraternity of Flybe pilot just want to keep their head down, wait for sunnier times and thus plot their escape. Net result don't expect these guys to lead from the front re any industrial action or wtr.

Enders - We all know them, ex BA, Cathay etc who most likely retired at 55 and looked for a cushy direct entry LHS somewhere in Blighty. They are already living off their company pension and are looking to spend 5 years or so putting most of their earnings into another pension scheme to make life after 60/65 just that bit sweeter - cant blame them, I'd do it myself. They lie low, they join in the flight deck 'management slaggin' banter but again don't expect these guys to lead from the front re any industrial action or wtr - they're already contemplating the shade of leather upholstery aboard their 50ft Sunseeker in 5/4/3/2/1 years time.

And so to the last group - the ladies and gents who live close to EXT, SOU, IOM, JER, GUR, NCL, INV etc who arent fussed by ending up in a legacy carrier or wide body charter operation - just want to do a days toil on the dash, drive only 20 minutes to work and very much like the small base feel where everybody knows everyone - cool, I've no problem with that. But again, if I were in an organisation where I intended to spend a decent portion of if not all of my career I probably wouldn't be the first person to stick my head above the parapet and yell 'Oi Jimbo, anyone ever tell you you're a class A mug and I say we all strike - by the way see you at the christmas knees up down the Frog and Duck.' So again - don't expect these guys to lead from the front re any industrial action or wtr.

So to problem 2 - if no one group is gonna step forward, who's job is it to negotiate until the 11th hour and then initiate industrial action (if voted to do so)? Is that BALPA I hear someone say. Too bloody right - trouble is they're more than happy to take a percentage of all our pay (I don't work for Flybe btw) but also happy for all of you to take it up the backside when it comes time to share the wealth now that Flybe has finally made good on its stock market aspirations. I compare BALPA in this particular matter to Neville Chamberlain - spineless with an eagerness to placate those who need to be brought to task.

BTW - I hope the armchair critics among you will recognise that I have not proposed an answer to the troubles at Flybe. Truth is I dont know what to do. But I would say that withdrawing your BALPA subs would certainly be worth considering. They after all are meant to be the ones who put up with all the sh*t so you dont have to - trouble is so far they've done a lot of talking but basically bugger all.

Last edited by Chief Brody; 6th Jan 2011 at 15:09.