PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fainting whilst at work following a crash diet
Old 6th Jan 2011, 13:52
AnthonyGA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree.What I don't agree with is the six-month term. Perhaps two weeks until blood tests are conclusive etc. Then a further decision can be made. But to ban operations for 6 months "is not justified".

It does not take 6 months for a conclusive diagnosis. In fact a diagnosis and remedy could be achieved within 72 hours.
There isn't a deadline or time limit. The pilot must remain on non-flying status until a clear diagnosis can be made AND the cause of the incapacitation can be eliminated. If it takes five years, it takes five years. If it takes 72 hours, it takes 72 hours. However, these two criteria must be met in order to return the pilot to flying status. Without knowing the cause already, one cannot be sure that a diagnosis and treatment will be found and successfully carried out in 72 hours, or even six weeks or six months. It's unfortunate if the diagnosis and treatment require two years, but there's really no other option than to prohibit him from flying for that period.

There's no telling how long diagnosis will take. It depends on the cause. It's possible that no diagnosis might be possible, in which case the removal from flying status may be indefinite. And even once the diagnosis is established, the cause must be something treatable, and it must be successfully treated. That might also take some considerable time. If it can be diagnosed but not treated, well, it's time for a career change.

This is all the more true because incapacitation is not merely a suspected risk in this case, it's an established fact. This pilot actually did become incapacitated while on flying duty.

Things like hypoglycemia, neurological or cardiovascular problems, blood or metabolic disorders can take a long time to fix. This pilot cannot fly until the fix is complete.

I do have reservations when someone is suspended because he has a condition that might theoretically incapacitate him (but hasn't actually done so). But when it's a condition that has actually caused a problem already, and right on the flight deck, one can no longer afford to give the benefit of doubt.