PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge - Worth the risk?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2011, 10:36
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not worth it anymore, maybe 20 years ago yes.

I tell you, you wont get any job, plenty of debts, and your life will be miserable.

see you soon in the unemployed line.
Firstly, you are welcome Pilot Unknown. Now with reference to the above quote.

This really makes me laugh. I have heard this so many times, from various people, some of the older guys at work, and some guys who have never even done the job.

Putting this in perspective, why do a lot of people seem to think that working long hours, and having to get off your ass to go to work is a bad thing? Isn't this the case for most jobs? Are we not supposed to go to work to earn money? Are you expecting to do this CAPT SS? I agree with you, it has changed, it is no longer the glamourous life style that it used to be 20 or 30 years ago, but why do we want to be pilots? Is it to fly aeroplanes for a living and enjoy it, or enjoy a lifestyle of doing very little, living it up in hotels and getting paid a load of dosh? If it is the latter, you are getting into the wrong industry!

The only thing I can compare it too is how I used to feel doing things that really made me unhappy in terms of work, however I did those things to put the building blocks in place to achieve the ambition of being a professional pilot.

With regard to working hours and working conditions, I cannot complain. Yes we have to do night shifts, yes we have to get up at 4am, yes we have to work 14 hour duties, doing Cairo and back. We also get to go to work, start at 5am, and finish at 10am. But this is the nature of the job. I like the fact, that even after a 14 hour duty, I can drive home and think what did I do today? Well, I flew an 89 ton aeroplane with 160 people on board to Cairo, made the approach over the pyramids, greased it on, then flew back again, made a flight through a gin clear night, with wonderful views of Greece, the east coast of Italy up the adriatic, across Venice, Paris, and finally flew over a brightly lit London to land at an airport I used to visit as a little boy dreaming of one day flying heavy jets out of, and knowing that dream has been achieved. I can't think of anything better personally. Oh, and the company gave me some pocket money for doing it, which lets me live a comfortable lifestyle.

I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of this guys. I have been flying a long time now, and with aviation in my blood I never get tired of it.

I wish all you guys striving for your first break the very best, as I know how it feels, however, when you do get your first jobs its brilliant!

Cheers.