PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THe Majestic 747 - the original Jumbo of the Sky
Old 6th Jan 2011, 05:19
Wannabe Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THe Majestic 747 - the original Jumbo of the Sky

After a gap of almost 10 years I got to fly in a 747-400 last week. Most of the routes I have been flying over the past years have moved to 777 or 330 so it was an absolute delight to fly in one of these aircraft in which i had logged many many SLF miles in the 90's.

After seeing models of 747 aircraft on my study tables my 5 year old was absolutely delighted to be flying on the aircraft with an upstairs! I was happy I was able to take her on one albeit a short flight of 4 hours.

I found the aircraft (it was aging so no fancy entertainment system etc) very comfortable and a lot of space in Y class and leg room. It was a lot of fun to fly in!!!!!

With so few carriers left flying this equipment and an imminent phase out of this majestic beauty that is older than more than 60% of the worlds population I am not sure when I will get a chance to fly this aircraft again. I know there is the 380 but this is akin to the mustang of the 60's that one always wants regardless of the Porsche's out there.

With the 747-8 going the cargo way (at least what indications are) does anyone have an idea how much longer the passenger versions of the existing fleet will continue flying? Any guesses who will be the last carrier to have this on their fleet?