PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow death of airmanship.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 21:44
unlikevice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow death of airmanship.

For my entire career I have found myself surrounded by professional helicopter pilots. Initially they collectively appeared to be a very capable engaged and professional group.
My previously high impression of professional helicopter pilots has been wavering of late.
At first I thought my descending impression was unfairly influenced by the individuals I currently work with, but maybe not. I think maybe there is a broader trend.
I too easily fell into the trap of blaming restrictive safety and fatigue management systems and subsequently began to feel some sympathy for the pilots doing their best to function in a restrictive work environment. However when I looked more dispassionately at my current work place, I concluded that this is not the cause of an observed decline in airmanship.
It seems to me that there is a broad cultural problem. This cultural problem is leading the restrictions pilots place on their selves rather than the pilots being restricted by systems and procedures imposed on them by their employer.
I have seen Professional Pilots unable to interpret a flight manual and a minimum equipment list. Leading to phone calls to the flight standards department whilst operationally deployed.
I have seen pilots certify for ‘Pilot approved maintenance’ without ever carrying out that maintenance.
I consistently see pilots skip a pre- flight check of the aircraft. (The first thing you learn when learning to fly)
Airmanship is in decline. Pilots no longer deserve the respect and trust once earned by their predecessors.
Please reply and tell me why I am wrong! It might improve my bleak view of the world. PPrune might start a new category for counselling jaded aviators.