PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge - Worth the risk?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 20:34
PilotUnknown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the plunge - Worth the risk?

I know this has been talked about in part in different threads, however in this case I'm talking about stumping up most the cash in advanced rather then sponsorship or taking out huge loans.

I'd be grateful to hear back from people in all stages of their careers and training.

Knowing what you know now, and with the job market in the declining state it's in would you cough up your own cash to gain your (f)ATPL?

If you were young (26) and could sell your apartment to fund your training would you?

If you were lucky enough to gain enough inheritance to fund your training, would you go ahead with it?

---------My background to give you a better idea of why i'm asking ------

I'll give you a brief bit of my history. I'm now 26, it was always my dream to fly. I was originally planning on applying for sponsorship after completing my A-levels, however during my first year 9-11 happened. I've been in my backup carrer for 7 years now.

During my early years of work, and living at home with my mum I saved every penny to get up in the air. I loved it and although I wasn't earning much, enough for about one lesson every 3-4 weeks I still did it as much as possible, even cutting back massively in my social life.

I had to cut the PPL short when my family situation changed. (I was the air-law exam and one or two lessons away from going solo) .

Fast-forward 5 years, I now have a property (flat) which has enough equity (I'm looking at least £80k) in it to help me move in the the carrer of my dreams. However it's a massive commitment and one which shouldn't be taken lightly. I've worked very hard for what I have and don't want to blow it on some air time, a piece of paper and no job.

It wouldn't be so bad if I enjoyed my job, however the truth of the matter is I hate the career i'm in, and am looking for change!

------ end of background ------------

Thanks for your advice and input in advanced!