View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2002, 10:15
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

How about SQ and Air New Zealand?

"God Forbid it!", the ex-An'ers cry.
Sorry guys and gals, but for MY money that presents a far better option for SQ (and Air Sheep).
I'm not trying to be abrasive by that statement, but merely ask YOU to consider what YOU would do if YOU were SQ.

QANTAS is in a strong financial position and would almost certainly want to dictate the rules to SIA.
SIA will want to be The Boss, in any venture/merger they enter into. QANTAS does NOT give them that option.

On the other side of the coin is Air New Zealand. They have an old fleet, and are in desperate need of a BIG injection (or use of someone else's equipment) to move forward.
In spite of their recent bonus payment to staff, I'll BET that this was a "power play" by Air New Zealand upper management to try to get more say in the running of their airline WHEN it is taken over.
New Zealand (Gov't and shareholders) simply don't have the BIG $$$'s needed.
Air New Zealand has access to all of the international routes that SIA are interested in obtaining over the next 10-20 years.

Air New Zealand also has access to Australian domestic routes.

That's MY call.

I'd be buying Air New Zealand shares if I were you, as once SQ enters there, the value will at least triple.