PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran: UAE evacuation plan.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:44
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The talk of UAE evacuation brings back memories.

I was in Oman at the time of the Iranian Islamic Revolution, working for a US company. With the US fear of an imminent invasion by Iranian revolutionaries, the other Department Heads and I were summoned to a meeting by the Project Manager and representatives from the US embassy. The latter then went on to explain what arrangements had been made for evacuation of US citizens, one suitcase each, get yourself to the Intercontinental Hotel, from where you would be ferried out to US naval ships.

Pointing out that myself, family and many other employees were Brits, I enquired what arrangements had been made for us. It was indicated that there "should be no problem, so just come along too".

Being a little P***ed off I offered my help, as an ATCO, and ATC were invariably the first to know if anything was happening, myself, family and all the other Brit employees would ring the embassy and advise them of the invasion -from our hotel in Bahrain! The Project Manager saw the funny side, the embassy staff had a complete sense of humour failure.