PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When does the 'exceptional weather' stop being an excuse?
Old 5th Jan 2011, 09:07
groundbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easyjet refunds

see previous posts by me, groundbum, on getting refunds out of Easyjet.

the EU compensation arrangements were written so airlines did not have to pay out if it would be unsafe to operate the flight. Fair enough. But this CANNOT be expanded by the airline to say everything was a mess due weather so they cancelled the flight. Cancelling flights left right and center due to weather disruption is down to (a) how much spare equipment and crew the airline has on standby (b) how well prepared their airport partners are for cleaning snow (c) how much spare capacity they have in their ops system to dispatch flights out of schedule, etc. All of these issues are under the airlines control. Obviously trying to attain nuclear SAC levels of resilience would result in tickets costing £1000+, so it's not done.

But that doesn't mean the airline gets out of their compensation obligations. Take em to court and don't accept 50%. Worse you'll lose is your £30 filing fee. Inb my case I pointed out other operators wre flying the exact same route that day so Easyjet paid up when pushed.

G