PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 5th Jan 2011, 08:48
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make your mind up

So are you lot saying that an apprenticeship is now whats required to enhance safety?

Problem being airlines wont hire from airtaxi / corporate / jet charter as it doesn't fit their business model, they need to start doing to release that position for somebody else to train up.

You'll be a way up the corporate type rating ladder before you get to see an aircraft with VNAV and autothrottle - taken me 10 years! It sort of forces the issue regarding lack of skill as there is nothing to rely on.

I've always said that airline SOP's are not there just for safety's sake but also to account for the lowest common denominator in terms of ability - it appears they have stealthily changed emphasis from the former to the latter.

The great shame is that it will never change going forward.... you grandfathers of the green are wasting your breath, Airlines simply need more children of the magenta lest somebody doesn't get to AGP for a tenner.

What is interesting is that all the loco models are based on the Southwest model who don't entertain cadets or low time captains - we've nobody to blame but ourselves.

Get CTC to approach some Chieftain and Kingair operators - would the newbies cope....I'm not sure they would, they need the rigid SOP's to make it to the line.