PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reversers and a/c speed
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 08:31
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You think a wing can't fly under self-generated wind alone, without "forward thrust", whereas in the standard intro-aero text to which I often refer, thrust isn't even mentioned until half-way through, after four hundred plus pages of how airfoils work.
Thrust isn't necessary for an airfoil to develop lift, obviously.

That a text doesn't address thrust as one of the four forces of flight until lift and drag have been thoroughly treatised is no surprise. Again, however, you mix apples and oranges.

Your mythical airplane which develops lift by blowing air over it's airfoil, independent of any motion of the free airstream, is more akin to a perpetual motion machine than the result of anything more than junk science. These magic fans, spaced the full span of the wing, will produce thrust if attached to the airframe, if producing enough thrust to produce lift. That amount of thrust will produce forward motion, whether or not you desire it, whether or not the airfoil requires thrust to create lift.

Of which airplane in the world are you aware that develops lift and rises vertically by employing fans to blow over it's airfoil, without need nor means of forward propulsion? This miracle method of yours, of which every first-year student is intimately aware: why is it not standard in the industry (or more precisely, why is it not employed at all)?
When I find out the answers to my questions about the relative contributions of the various engine parts to the loads under reverse thrust, I'll share them here.
Do what will float your boat. As I stated at the outset, I'm not particularly interested in the specific values to which each component may contribute: it's enough to address the salient point that ram drag, and not reverse gas flow, accounts for the retarding force in reverse thrust landing operations. More appropriate to the point of the thread is the relationship of rollout speed to the effectiveness of reverse thrust; this is owing to the effects of ram drag (and such components as may interest you, of which the collective ram drag is composed).