PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco to Saigon, non-stop without a fueling stop?...
Old 4th Jan 2011, 21:33
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Hi TB, I take up your challenge and have explored my electronic diary records and travel log book (aka spreadsheet).

I think that you are correct that VS had to go 'South About' in their early days but this was North About over China.

I see that my first HKG~LHR was in a BA 74 (not noted whether a 3 or 400) late January 1991 (I do have the exact date because it's an electronic diary but I don't want to appear too anorak-y. ) That was North About and was14 hrs wheels-to-wheels, rounded to 15 minutes (My anorak does not demand exact minutes. ) but I did note the following trip in question in detail as it was unusual.

Between June 94 and January 95, I made three trips there with VS. The last trip was out in 14hr 15m and back on 27-01-95 in 15hr 15m (correction from previously stated 25 mins from memory). We were told that, due to a large storm complex on our usual route, we had to go pretty far north almost as far as Beijing, before turning. It was the night before the Chinese New Year and we were very full.

Yes, as you can see, I don't have anything of importance to do this evening than to swap stories of long sectors. I would enter the lists for the shortest commercial flight at 11 minutes but I recall from a previous discussion in here, that someone had about 4 minutes.

Now, where's the brandy ...