PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intercept Loc Outbound
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2011, 20:32
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm! SN3 - I think you may well have blown poor Hiren's brains there! Not the ideal chart to try to 'help with'?
I didn't post it for Hiren's benefit. CptRegionalJet suggested he hadn't heard of a departure using a back course, and that's why I posted the KASE SARDD ONE.
1) There is no 'back course ILS that I can see - in my book the labelling of the outbound loc is mis-named.
2) I assume the localiser on the I-PKN has reversed lobes?
3) If it was a 'back-course' localiser, there has to be a 300 inbound course localiser - there is not.

This is simply a 'fudged' localiser for tracking purposes, not a 'back course'.
Nope: it's a localizer back course. There's no front course.
1) It's not misnamed. It's a localizer back course, pure and simple. It's just used for the departure, rather than for an approach. As a localizer, it has a narrower signal for the departure, and is aimed at a mountain pass leading to LINDZ intersection.
2) No, I PKN is a back course. There's no front course. It's installed this way to provide normal sensing while flying outbound, as the I-PKN localizer back course is used for a departure, and the missed approach for the LOC/DME-E, and VOR/DME procedures.
3) There doesn't have to be a front course. It's a back course. It's stuck in the mountains. It isn't flown as a back course to the airport, and neither is the front course; it's located physically on the other side of a mountain from the Aspen airport; there are big rocks between the airport and the transmitter. It's oriented as it is, providing back course guidance to give normal sensing on the way out on the departure and missed approach procedures.

It is a localizer for tracking purposes, and not for approach purposes (other than the missed); it's in very mountainous terrain, and serves as relatively precise guidance through and over a mountain pass. It is, however, a localizer back course.
Hiren - I think you have got yourself more than a little confused here. Looking at your post to d105:
"@ d105 - you got my question bit - after tracking outbound VOR radial we swich to ILS freq after that the question is - We go for Back course or arm Nav mode to intercept Loc outbound for this chart ? "

1) Whyare you trying to "intercept Loc outbound" when you have turned inbound?
2) Which chart are you talking about?
I don't think Hiren has much instrument training, and is either a sim game player, or a new hire with very little training or experience. It appears that he doesn't understand his autopilot functions, and is attempting to work out how to set up the autopilot while flying the approach. He also doesn't appear to understand the basics of using an HSI.

He has stated that he's got an EHSI, and isn't sure how to follow it after flyin to the VOR, and intending to execute the approach. He needs to fly outbound for a procedure turn, and wants to know how to stay oriented.

Again, Hiren, set in the front course for the approach, and you've got normal sensing all the way through the procedure. No need to mess with a back course switch, and you won't have any reverse sensing. When you dial in the front course in the EHSI, your course needle going left will always mean you fly left. Your course needle going right will always mean you go right. No matter if you're flying toward the runway, or away from it. You get normal sensing all the time.