PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF PILOT OPPORTUNITY, GO ON let us in lads?
Old 30th Aug 2002, 07:32
impartial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

The RAF pilot recruitment process seems to assume all recruits are potenetial fast jet pilots. After completing JEFTS they are then streamed rotary, transport or jets. From my view point some choose not to go jets in favour of transport, some who don't make the jet cut see it as a failure on their half, leading to a loss of morale.

I would dearly love to join the RAF and have for some time, after getting a Flying Scholarship when I was 16 I passed most basic requirements to fly, failing the medical requirement on my eye sight. Since then I have gained a frozen ATPL.

The thought occurs, that I am aware I cannot fly fast jet, and have trained to fly heavy cargo/transport aircraft, could the RAF not employ someone like myself in the transport fleet and save themselves large sums of money in initial and advanced training? I would obviously require specific training towards combat/tactical flying aspects, but my basic handling competency has already been proven, thus decreasing the potenetial 'training risk'!

As for the eyesight, I've been flying long enough to know the irritation of contact lenses and glasses when airborne. In charge of an unpressurised multimillion pound fighter, and my contact lens slips in a high G manouever would not be good!, let alone in a wartime scenario, how are you going to escape and evade if your glasses are broken or your lenses have dried up?!?

Give the boys in blue a break, I'm sure the admin. staff know what they are doing? maybe?, we hope? honest!