PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2011, 18:10
Annex14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ref. digging mud??

Quite some commotion in progress since my last entry!! However I have meanwhile detected that this report I linked was not the only one, no there is a whole wave of similar sounding news reports. The origin however, seems to be the report issued by associated press on Nov, 12 right after the Airbus CEO spoke in Australia.
So far firstfloor and Turbine D I agree in what you posted, most unlikely the CEO was - knowingly - talking hard facts about the QF 32 failure.
However, have to ask the question: How did he come to the conclusion to mouth something so serious as a cause of failure in public, if not some information about this possible problem area was known to him ???

Turbine D
Those bolted joines that are subject to boroscopic evaluation have to be those connections between the Modules 2, 3 and 4 - s.a. RR-brochure > gasturbines_tcm92-4977.pdf - sorry I have no working link. One of these bolts is visible in that Trent 900 cutaway I posted a while ago just on top of the Nr. 2 ball bearing.

My question about the decolouringf the disk fragment and the obvious lack of wear or damage to the side of the disk that was supposed to have slammed into the rearward structure and the nozzle guide vane ring was triggered by
lomopaseo
quote:
However, once again I would urge you to forget about the significance of friction once the failure scenario has started. At the speeds that turbo machinery runs the interface conditions in a contact environment is nothing but molten metal.

Okay if friction is no player in the game and also no obvious marks about a "fluid bearing" neither in the bore nor at the circumferential crack in the drive arm, and also no mark of contact at least on the recovered part of the disk, what is left as explanation for the disk failure?? Overspeed/ overstress and a plain "ductile fracture" as explained in the ATSB report ??? Here the engineers are demanded !! Its just a conclusion !

Assisted by what?? Look at Fig. 13 of the ATSB report, enlarge it a bit and check the visible rear side of the nozzle guide vanes of the IP turbine. Its there well visible, just some shiny or dark marking, probable contact on break up ? and the gas channels at - as I consider it - normal performance colouration. There is no Oil, there is no oil soot, there is just plain metal !! Wasn´t that the side where that feroscious -blowtorch like - oilfire had to have its devastating work done ??
Hard to believe !!
Still I am thinking of the hottest place of that oilfire more foreward, seen the damage from inside outward on the remains of the bottom section aft cowling.Wasn´t there nearby not that Inner Gear Box witha connection to the ring in front of ball bearing Nr. 3 ??

Finally, the "spline wear" AD is still in force, as is the restriction to 75 takeoffs with power settings at 540 Psi at P30!! Why that ??
Obviously the oil tube is a contributing cause but the real problem still excists and is not identified to the public. Looks like someone tries the old game of "sectioned information and selected truth" Okay, Okay, if at the end the case is sober and no one gets hurt, but meanwhile ?? how long will it take to be really back on the safe side of the game ??