PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do we really need to retract flaps in case of an engine failure after take-off?
Old 4th Jan 2011, 15:32
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very interesting reading comments on certification requirements and SOPs. The way I see it, is that the crew's primary objective is to achieve a safe flight, followed by an efficient flight. But the primary goal is safety. Therefore, it is beholden on the crew to de-risk the operation as much as is practically possible. To that end SOPs are a tool designed to help the crew. If for whatever reason secific SOPs aren't going to narrow the gap between now and a safe landing, then It is the crews responsibility to consider other options.

More often than not the engine failure on takeoff is not an engine fire, but if it is aren't you trained to keep the engine running until achieving a safe altitude for the circumstances?
Until the other recent thread, I'd never heard of such a procedure. A safe altitude i
For a shutdown should always be 400'. If we can't fly the SID or contingency procedure after EFSD recall, then the chances are the same coud be said for a EFATO.