PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2011, 10:58
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all a hearty 'Happy New Year' to all our readers. As I've been 'away' for a week or so, I hope you will all indulge me as I answer a few posted points. (I totally agree with what Bellerophon said about restricting our posts to the 'techy' and nostalgic stuff, so will not respond to anything else here) .

CliveL
Seriously, they couldn't possibly know that the new nozzle fell short of it's design promise. There was no means of measuring thrust in flight installed on the aircraft and even if there had been the possible precision would not have allowed one to make such judgement. The only certain thing in aircraft design is weight, and that could be established unequivocably - it was lighter than the original. Any aerodynamicist looking at the two designs could tell you that the drag of the TRA (Tuyere Reverse Aval) was going to be less than that of the prototype nozzle, but establishing an exact value was another matter.
I accept and understand of course Clive that this was a difficult issue to predict with any certainty, it was just a shame that's all, that the Type 28 never fully lived up to its promise and potential. However, the one aspect of the SNECMA design that was very poor indeed was Secondary Nozzle system integrity. Throughout the operational life of Concorde, there were almost more operational disruptions due to short-fallings here (bucket runaways) than any other issue. It was only near the very end of Concorde's operational life that modifications were finally forthcoming from SNECMA to address this.

Poornamechoice
My grandad (departed earth long before I was old enough to ask him questions about it unfortunately) worked for a company (don't believe they were a specific aerospace firm just a precision engineering firm, he also worked on flaps/droops on Tridents and said he had many a sleepless night when G-ARPI initially crashed). They won the contract to make the keys for Concorde, my grandad makes the keys according to the designs, and for extra measure thinking they will be a souvenir no doubt one day decides he will make a set for himself (and who knows, I could've ended up with them). So the story goes the dies then get destroyed. Launch day of Concorde comes, BA lose the set of original keys made and only asked ever for one set - the launch looks in jeopardy and a somewhat panicked launch party are wondering what they are going to do. Luckily my grandad steps up and says you have been saved, as he had a spare set all along and gives them to BA who launch as planned but loses out his souvenir in the long run.
I am so sorry to dispel this particularly charming story, but there were absolutely no keys as such for Concorde, Sorry (But I am so glad that you are enjoying this wonderful thread).

ChristiaanJ
It is clear from this fabulous thread that the passing of Concorde has left an aching void in the lives of the contributors here. Maybe, and maybe not.
Speaking for myself, no, it's not a void, it's a highlight, that I now like passing on, in the hope other generations will find inspiration in the 'Concorde Story' for their own endeavours.
Oooooh speaking for myself (and I suspect a whole lot more of the BA Concorde familly) there is a void alright. Having lived with the 'lady' day in, day out for almost 30 years (up to November 2003) there was an absolutely yawning chasm left for me personally. (The world of the blunties is just not the same.. just a whole lot slower ).
What is gratifying though, is the enormous amount of interest that there still is for Concorde; both in this thread and in the world at large. I guess she lives on after all.

These pictures of 101 etc are absolutely marvellous; I really like the 'sexy' wing shape photo's. One little unique point about 102; she flew with a different intake control system to any other Concorde, being an 'improved' Ultra Electronics analog system. (Although the intake itself was aerodynamically the same as the later aircraft). Never really understood why our French friends chose this particular path with this aircraft. (Perhaps CliveL can shed some light on this??).
Very best regards to all.

Dude

Last edited by M2dude; 5th Jan 2011 at 15:54. Reason: Still can't spell